CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our Trip to South Dakota

Friday, June 6, 2008

Today is the day! We are going to South Dakota! The kids are pumped. They have no real concept of time and do not realize that it will be two days before we actually see Chris.

Brandon worked for a few hours on Friday. While he worked, I loaded the car and off we went. Did I mention that we rented a minivan for the trip? The Burb has enough miles on it without adding a trip to South Dakota plus the minivan is more economical with gas prices so ridiculous. Brandon has mentioned buying a minivan before but I've never been on board. I can honestly say that renting this hot little number has NOT changed my mind. Remember that commercial "would you.....drive a mini van?" and it's got those cute little kids asking the questions that all parents in their right minds would say no to? Until a cute little wee voiced angel asks the question, that is..... I was almost ready to give in and say yes because of that commercial but NOPE. I have to say that you can only feel so cool riding in a white KIA minivan. However, the Brandana, looks cool in anything! Just ask him! :)


(just for you, Jeff!)

Off we go! 25 movies, a beach bag of snacks, a cooler of baby waters, and child specific goodie bags should get us through the first day of driving! Whatever. Movies do not hold Emma's attention for very long and she did not like the headphones for the DVD player. It was a great idea for the older 3. Older 3, that cracks me up! Aren't they all basically the same age?? By Oklahoma, I had already unbuckled and flipped around to pick up crayons, blankies, puppies, coloring books and who knows what else at least - at least 5,000 times. Remember how I thought it would be awesome to drive to South Dakota because we'd never driven that direction before? I love to experience the beautiful places God's made - not just fly over them.... Ok, so I still feel the same way but I'd be lying if I said that at least a portion of the drive was not stressful!

We made it to Garden City, Kansas before we stopped to sleep.



Saturday, June 7, 2008


Up bright and early the next morning, we headed out for Ellsworth Air Force Base. The kids did great considering the amount of time they were in the car and we only stopped for gas or a drive thru lunch. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota.... I was surprised that the drive wasn't as pretty as I expected. But then, we drove to Northern Nebraska! This was worth the drive! Rolling hills blanketed in lush green grass were on either side of the car. There were times when the sun would shine on just a portion of the hills leaving the others shadowed. It was breathtaking.

We finally made it to South Dakota. The beauty just continued- add gorgeous pine trees to the scene. God is a master landscaper! We found it so pretty that Brandon semi-jokingly mentioned buying property. He even said that he could live there. I think I could, too!

We arrived at Ellsworth Air Force Base just outside of Rapid City, South Dakota in the early evening on Saturday. Jenna met us at the visitor's center to get us on base. We drove to the fire station to see Chris. He gave us a tour before we left to have dinner with Jenna and Elle at Fuddrucker's.


Sunday, June 8, 2008
Chris got off work at 7am so when the kids woke, there he was! He made everyone breakfast. We visited awhile and then made our way to Mount Rushmore.

Mount Rushmore was awesome! I remember looking through the valleys along the way praising God for this trip and all this that He has allowed us to see and experience. Then we made the bend and there was Mount Rushmore. Incredible. People from many nations were there along side us taking countless pictures.

Monday, June 8, 2008

Today was just a day of ease. We visited and cooked. Chris was hero of the day and rented a bouncy house for the kids.

Tuesday, June 9, 2008
Bear Country, USA, here we come! Bear Country is a drive through wilderness park much like others across the US. It was home to Big Horned Sheep, Timber Wolves, Arctic Wolves, Black Bears, Grizzly Bears, Buffalo, Mountain Goats, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, and more. I think the bears were the best. They would just very leisurely cross the road while we patiently waited or take a swim at just the right time to ensure a great photo! At the end of the 30 minute car ride through the park, there was an area filled with babies. We had great opportunity to get close to striped skunks (FYI - no difference in the striped skunks of South Dakota and the skunks we have in Texas) I was expecting a skunk colored the pattern of a zebra. No, not near that exotic! The baby black bears were so adorable. We learned that black bears were not aggressive and were actually timid contrary to their cousins the Grizzlies. It's not that they won't attack because they will if they are scared. Just in case you find yourself in the woods and a black bear stands, puckers like he's going to whistle and makes this whiny noise - know that you should look for an escape route. They don't roar or growl like grizzlies do. Obviously, I found this bit of information very interesting.
The babies you see in the pictures are 4 months old. They are weaned and housed in their own large area away from the mamas who are in a much larger place. The babies stay in this smaller place until they are 'teenagers' (about 1 yr) and then they are moved to another place near the older parent bears but still segregated. During this time, they continue to receive training that will allow them to be safe residents in the park. These yearling bears remain in this segregated area until they are about 3 years old. Bears who must 'do some time' for unacceptable behavior may also find themselves in this place set aside for the training of these rebellious 'teenage' bears. OH - I have to add that one thing they teach these bears during this time is how NOT to bite cars! There is an electric fence with a car positioned just the other side. If the bear tries to bite the car - ZAP! They learn quickly and aren't we thankful?


Wednesday, June 10, 2008
Our last night! We had a great dinner at Red Lobster together. Jenna, Kaci, Cheyanne, and I got our nails done while Brandon and Chris and the little ones browsed a sporting goods store in the mall.
The rest of the night was spent visiting and playing games. Jenna and I partnered on Sequence and stomped Chris and Brandon all but one time! We then played Golf (card game) and I beat the pants off all of them! What's that Carrell theme song? Oh yes! 'We are the champions!' Was this the night we played games or watched movies? Doesn't matter! Still the winner!

Thursday, June 11, 2008
Up and at 'em! I threatened all the kids! NO ONE CRIES! If one of us starts, it'll be a rippling effect! Hugs and kisses and we are off! 20 hours to the Ville!

Friday, June 12, 2008
7:00pm - We are home. 40 total hours in the car and 8 nights of all 6 of us sharing a room - Everyone survived. Oh and did I mention that we brought Chris's dog back with us? Elway cannot go to Japan so he is living with us. 6 people and a 65lb lab in a minivan for 20 hours! Yes we did! He was great. Better than the kids. We never knew he was there.

We hated to leave Chris, Jenna, and Elle, but we were happy to see familiar country, too. The kids were suddenly giddy when they recognized their surroundings! Check out the pictures!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Holy cow. You are super woman and let Brandon know that the mini suits him.

It looks/sounds like you guys had a blast. I love the pictures!